Monday, September 20, 2010

The First Three Weeks: Phew!

So, design school is no joke. I am in class everyday from 9am to 6pm with very short breaks and lots of work to complete at home. Now, as I enter the third week of school, I think my body and my mind are adjusting to the rigors of the program. I can tell that my sketches are improving with speed and accuracy, and I'm learning to sew with industrial machines.

I'm not going to lie: this has been a little intimidating. Some of the students in my very small program (13 in my class from Korea, China, and United States) have had much more training than I have - up to six years of art and some have studied design already. I've had no formal training. All the same, I am so focused on learning these new skills, that I don't care what everyone else does. I'm here for me and my dream. My professors can see my determination, and I get a lot of great attention. In just three weeks, I've grown exponentially. I can't wait to see what my semester projects look like. Don't worry, I'll be sure you see them too.

I'm also taking an International Buying and Marketing Class in the Fashion Marketing department. This class is 50% in the class room and 50% in boutiques, factories, and artisan workshops. This week we went to La Scuola del Cuoio -- The Leather School.


This place is really special. It's housed on the campus of a Franciscan Monastery of the Santa Croce Church in Florence. Inside, they handcraft handbags and other leather goods from the finest of materials. As a customer, you can select your own materials, colors, and even have your name engraved in gold.





My instructor, Inger, is well connected in the industry. She sets up amazing opportunities for us to be able to talk to the people who run these various establishments. For our final project, I essentially have to put my entire business plan together to include my logo, target market profile, product samples etc. It blends seamlessly with another final project I have for art and design which requires me to create my collection.

It is really late, but I wanted to be sure to share all that has happened in the last few weeks. It is really busy, but I am really happy.

Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment