Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sold My First in 2010

So, 2010 has been an amazing year! This year, in preparation for a mission trip to South Africa, I coordinated my first benefit dinner and silent auction at B.Smith's Restaurant in Washington DC to raise money for Baby and Child Haven an organization that provides safe homes for HIV/AIDS orphans in Johannesburg.


I had a lot of great things to auction at the fundraiser. My mom is a fabulous potter, and she generously donated several pieces from her studio, Enthusiasm Pottery. She discovered her love and passion for pottery as she was recovering from breast cancer in 2008. Since then, she's sold thousands of dollars worth of pottery. She is my inspiration! If you're wondering where I get it from - look no further!

I also had a good friend, Bill Sanders, who owns Crush and Press, donate a private wine tasting and an olive oil tasting. I think the wine tasting was one of the most popular items at the auction!

At the encouragement of a few close friends (you know who you are), I prepared a piece to auction as well. This is the first dress I have ever sold! It's so hard to see them go - but I'm getting used to it ;)

This was my first dress I sold - a cocktail length sheath with an asymmetrical ruffle detail. It was a pleasure to sell it for a good cause.

For my seamstress friends, go easy on me. I am self-taught, so it's definitely trial and error, but I can't wait to see what I can do with a formal fashion education. It's going to be dynamite! Here are a few more pics of the creation of the dress:

Constructing the bodice...

Pressing the seams...

A perfect invisible zipper! This is the inside of the dress...

My ruffle detail - I learned it by watching an episode of Project Runway. I thought... "I think I can do that" and then there it was! I did it! It's my new favorite embellishment - thank goodness it's in season! They are going to be on everything!

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment