Sunday, June 13, 2010

What’s in a name?

Well… everything. I have had a hard time accepting myself for who I am, where I am and what I am. That may sound strange to some people, but I don’t think I’m alone.

Using my God-given name on my own fashion work has been a struggle for me. It invites criticism to my person, where another name can take a beating while I remain reasonably in tact.
When I first started, I didn’t want any part of my name in my fashion label. It was too daunting to think that everyone would know that I did it. But eventually, I got over my initial fear as I became more confident in my craft to actually use my own first name. Nina, after all, is a very familiar fashion name – Nina Garcia, Fashion Director/Editor for Marie Claire Magazine. Nina Ricci, Fashion Designer, and Nina Shoes, that shoe designer who’s sold at every department store I’ve ever been in. Apparently, she has a "design your own shoe" option online that's killer! Nina is a great fashion name – we cover the industry. What I didn’t feel comfortable with was my surname because that’s what lets you know that it’s actually me. I’m getting there… which is why this blog is about Nina Harrell in the making… This journey is about more than becoming a fashion designer; this is about becoming a woman who completely accepts herself and what she has to offer to the world.


Link mentions to FABSUGAR, NY Magazine Fashion, and Nina Shoes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment